Pages

January 29, 2010

a fun project inspired by another blogger

When I bought the new/used blue dresser a while ago, I had to do something with the old dresser. It was just a cheap dresser and lacked sturdiness that I was able to pull the drawers apart with little effort. I also felt a little guilty at the idea of tossing a once useful item out completely, but not content with giving a crap dresser away either. I mean it's THAT crap of a dresser. I decided then that it would be nice to do something with some of the boards, and after seeing Kyla's new gorgeous fabric wall panels, this was the inspiration I had been looking for. And better yet, something nice for the apartment.

I kept four pieces of wooden board that were all the same size. A few days later, I made a trip to Jo Ann's. Mind you, I am incredibly picky when I know it's a one time thing. Something has to absolutely stick out for me before I buy it. Unfortunately for Sean, I had to have him there, because I wanted to be that sweet girlfriend who picked out something that he will not find hideous, especially since it will be something he will see on a daily basis. I must have spent a good half hour pacing back and forth between a bazillion different choices and commenting out loud on what I liked, wished it had, what was wrong with it, or what was right but was missing. After tons of thumb-downs to "I don't care, just make up your mind woman" comments, and finally a (hopefully empty) threat to break one of the boards that I had brought with me, I ended up picking this pretty sage green canvas material with white flowery silhouettes on it. It was just pretty and I wasn't completely satisfied, but I did not want to go home with just three good boards left.

While I went to a different part of the store in search of some glue and a package of Command Picture Hanging Strips (they work amazing and are supposed to come off easily), Sean found another area where there were even more fabric choices. Let me tell you, I love this man to death because he found THE fabric. Even better, he knew that I would approve 100%. People, this is the man I will marry someday (assuming he will finally pop the damn question). I couldn't ask for more.

So with the next few hours consisting of delicious sub sandwiches at a local place, three games of bowling, browsing around at an used bookstore, and working on the project while catching up on the latest episode of Vampire Diaries, this is what I accomplished!

Andddddd a closer up!
I love how much more cheery our dining room looks now! I'm not a particularly big fan of yellow, but this is perfect with the neutral colors! I'm probably going to move them down a few inches because the bottom of the panels are probably about six feet high and I'm only 5'6.

And I had some fabric leftover to play around with. It's not enough for me to use to make the cover of a book, but I did decide to be a little silly and make a little headband out of one piece while the glue was drying. :)


Thank you Kyla for the inspiration! :]

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the link, they're gorgeous- and the fabric is perfect! This made my day =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so gorgeous gorgeous.
    i love the whole yellow, white, black concept <3
    you're gorgeous as well with that rocking band! ;)
    hope we can hang out soon - i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - those look SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love doing simple & cheap projects!? It's amazing!! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is cool!! I have never thought of doing that kind of project... hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete